Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Only Got 20 Dollars in my Pocket...

    Writing this blog is becoming expensive. 
     Ever since I started writing it I've found myself at Goodwill about twice a week. I do it for inspiration. I do it for motivation. I do it for you, the reader! 
     While you may be happy for me to shop all day every day, my wallet is not. I do not have a very high-paying job, and although my lovely parents provide a lot for me I do have a couple bills to pay every now and then. At the end of most months my spending money ends up being about as much as you would get from grabbing a handful of change from the bottom of a park fountain. 
     I've been pretty broke for a pretty long time, but through the frustration that comes with broke-ness, I am learning a lot about how to shop with discipline. And part of that is learning how to shop with a price range. It can be so hard when I find lots of cute things at once, but if I set a non-negotiable price limit for myself, I've found that it becomes much easier make smart shopping decisions.(with little to no buyer's remorse!)
     Setting a price limit for yourself may be a foreign and scary concept to you, but it's an extremely helpful life skill to learn. The beauty of thrifting is you rarely have to spend more than 20 bucks for a great outfit! Below I've put together examples of possible outfits you could get for 5, 10, 15 and 20 dollar price limits according to Goodwill's price list. Check em out and get inspired! 

$5 Limit

An adorable start to a wintery outfit! (Who doesn't match their socks to their clothes nowadays?)


Flannel: $3.00 
Hat: $1.50
Socks: $.50
Total (pretax): $5.00


$10 Limit

A fun, mixy-matchy summer outfit with great accessories. Slightly inspired by Katy Perry. (She's the reason I bought that cherry skirt in the first place.)


Earrings: $2.00
Top: $3.00
Belt: $1.50 
Skirt: $3.00
Total (pretax): $9.50 

$15 Limit 

Classic, vintage look. Perfect for early fall. You'll find a million cardigans at goodwill. Guaranteed. 


Cardigan: $3.00
Dress: $5.00
Necklace: $3.25 
Shoes: $3.00
Total (pretax): $14.25

$20 Limit 
 
Great for fall and winter. Stoner chic and fabulous. (Yes I did just say 'stoner chic'. I invented that phrase. Copyright pending.) I haven't actually worn this outfit before but now I really want it to be cold outside so that I can. And it doesn't even add up to exactly $20!


T-shirt: $3.00
Jacket: $5.00 
Pants: $3.00
Bag: $3.00
Shoes: $3.00
Scarf: $1.50
Total (pretax): $18.50

Let these outfits give you hope and inspiration! You CAN get great stuff even with a tiny paycheck! Go forth and shop with confidence!

Comment and follow if you wish!

Your Thrifty Godmother,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment