Monday, July 22, 2013

Frumpy or Friggin' Awesome: 7 common thrift finds that you CAN pull off!



     One very important rule I follow whilst thrifting is: ALWAYS have a vision for each item you purchase. (Seriously that's an official Leah Connolly thrifting rule. Write it down! Tattoo it on your neck! Remember it always!) Like today, I found this corduroy jacket at Goodwill. My heart always flutters for corduroy (because it reminds me of the 70s, naturally), but for some reason I wasn't sure about it. Then I remembered my rule, and started imagining when I would wear it and with what. As soon as I envisioned myself wearing it in the fall, with brown boots and a scarf, I had to have it. 
     My point in sharing that fascinating shopping tale with you is that there are many common thrift store items that many people would commonly pick up and automatically put back down. They may have a vision in their head of what it would look like on them, but what if it's an inaccurate vision?
     I couldn't think of a way to explain this to you all better than to just give examples. So today at goodwill, I found 7. Below are 7 items that could probably be found at any thrift store you go to, and some inspiration for how you could wear them. Enjoy!

     
1. The Sleeveless Button Up
Okay we all know I'm not a huge Miley fan (I once got brutally cyber-attacked by her fans on twitter for calling her a "redneck chipmunk"), but she wears this top pretty much the exact same way I would, minus the midriff: Paired with a slim skirt and funky accessories. It's cute, summery and surprisingly flattering when you don't pull your skirt down to your hip bones like our lovely Miley here.
                                                
                                                        2. The Puffer Vest
Like corduroy, I love these because they remind me of the 70s, but they're becoming a huge modern trend for cold months. Try with a flannel or a long sleeved t-shirt. I love them on boys AND girls!

3. The Denim Button Up
I mean, it'll make you look like John Mayer. If that doesn't convince you to at least try one, you have a couple things to learn. Girls can also look great in them. I have one that I love to wear with black jeans or leggings and bright accessories. 

4. The Plaid Skirt
I bought one originally inspired by Thora Birch from Ghost World, and I wore it until it fell apart. Looks amazing with a graphic tee, cardigan, black tights and boots. I also love the way the girl in this picture wears it. Could be 90s grunge, Could be classic vintage school girl. Depends entirely on how you dress it up.

5. The Floral Button Up
Always classy with denim and chunky jewelry like in the picture. I've worn them in the fall with a matching cardigan on top and loved it. There are so many colors in them that tons of stuff will match!

  6. The Cosby Sweater
Everyone says "Cosby sweater" like it's a bad thing. They can look so cute in the fall with skinny jeans and a Ked-like shoe. A great look for a cozy night in eating jello pudding pops with your friends!

7. The Penny Loafer
A sort of vintagey look with sweaters and button ups. Very 500 Days of Summer. Can work for warm and cold months with skirts and dresses. I freaking love wearing mine with this collared, sleeveless floral dress that I have that that buttons all the way up.There are mens loafers too that can be equally fantastic. Think James Franco or Joseph Gordon-Levitt for inspiration.


     Those were just a few ideas to get you started. I get a lot of inspiration from celebrities and magazines. You can get inspiration however you want. Use your imagination, try things on and go crazy! The possibilities are endless!


Comment and Follow if you wish! Love you all!!


Your Thrifty Godmother,
Leah






3 comments:

  1. omg Leah i love this blog
    i wanted to know what stores your going bc my good will suck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i love how you but the celebs wearing the clothes

      Delete
    2. The goodwill I go to the most is in the Bellrive shopping center which is on Harrodsburg road down towards Nicholasville. The one on Clays Mill Road is also good. It always has a ton of cute stuff.

      Delete