Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thriftspiration Thursday: Fiona Apple


I've been wanting to do something like this ever since I started my blog; a weekly post about people or places or things that inspire me, and may hopefully inspire you. So, here goes. I guess I'll start with my all-time favorite person:

     Not to sound like one of those people, but I really love the 90's. Not just because I was born in them. Not just because of Nickelodeon cartoons. I don't claim to be a "90's Kid". I just genuinely love and respect this part of history on so many different levels. The style, the music, the movies. From Beck to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. From Goosebumps to "Groove is in the Heart". It's all one big, beautiful, flannel dream to me. But the centerpiece of my 90's fantasies is without a doubt Miss Fiona Apple. I don't know what I love most about her...


      I love her style. Always trendy, with F*** the system undertones. Sleepy-sexy, in a hippy dippy kind of way. Certainly enviable in many modern circles, and a very easy look to get at thrift shops. 
     I love her music. Especially her lyrical style. She writes kind of like like Taylor Swift, if Taylor smoked weed and read old English literature. Romantic and girly with a trippy, dark-poet twist. She actually came out with an album last year called The Idler Wheel is Wiser... and I highly recommend it. Gorgeous. But my favorite album of hers is Extraordinary Machine. If I were to have a movie made about my life, the first song on that album would be in the opening scene, and the last song would play as the credits rolled. I want that last song played at my funeral actually. It makes me laugh and cry on a regular basis (I'm not even kidding, friends and family. Remember that. I truly want that song played at my funeral. Okay this is getting weird, moving on.)
     I love her general outlook on life. I don't know how better to explain this than show you her acceptance speech from the 1997 VMAs. 
     

(The video really is embedded here. 
If you can't  see of from your phone, sorry. 
Look it up.)



If you're not obsessed with her yet, I don't know what your problem is.



     Anyways, that's your thriftspiration for the week. Check out her music, really. And study her style. Maybe you'll fall in love like I have. 

See you next week with more thriftspiration. And maybe a real post or two.

Your Thrifty Godmother,

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment