Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Just stopping in to say Chai...



     Sometimes all I need to motivate me is a tasty beverage. 
     I've found this to be true in many cases. When I don't feel like doing homework, a cold coke can give me the kick I need. Paper to write? Better go get a Peace Tea from the gas station. And last time I had to clean my room, I made a gallon of pomegranate Arnold Palmer to start me off right. Well tonight I was planning on cleaning my room again and stumbled upon a recipe on the internet for a homemade chai latte. I didn't have and/or didn't have enough of some of the ingredients so I've made a recipe all my own and it turned out quite nice. So nice, in fact, that I decided to share it with you. I know it has nothing to do with thrift shopping, but it does have to do with being fiscally intelligent, which is a huge part of the thrifter's lifestyle. The ingredients to make 20 of these costs about how much it would cost to get 4 or 5 of them at Starbucks!

     It was too cozy and delicious to motivate me to clean my whole  room though. It mostly just made me want to cuddle up on the couch and enjoy it. I'll have to try it iced next time and see if that helps...


Leah's Home Made Chai Tea Latte

Ingredients:
(I totally eyeballed all of these so I have no idea what the actual measurements are. You can eyeball it too. I guessed here to give you some ballpark proportions. Do what you want. Exact measurements are for squares!)
2 cups water
2 bags of Chai Tea
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup milk
1 cup French Vanilla coffee creamer
1/8 to 1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions:

1. Fill small saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add 2 bags of tea, and all of the spices. Stir for 2 minutes and set aside. Let the tea bags continue to steep.
2. In another small saucepan, combine milk, creamer and brown sugar. Let it heat enough to dissolve the brown sugar.
3. Combine milk mixture and tea mixture in mug. I did it almost exactly half and half. Maybe slightly more tea than milk.

And there you have it! An easy, cheap, delightful drink! Impress your barista friends! (We all have at least one.)

Feel free to experiment with the recipe and let me know what you change (so I can try it too!) I'm sure I'll end up doing it a bit differently each time I make it. What's great about this recipe is all the ingredients are so tasty it will probably turn out wonderful no matter what!


As my friend Danny would say, "I got nothin' but love for ya, brother." (or sister)

Yours truly,
Thrifty God Mother

P.S. That closing line is a quote from my favorite move. Guess what it is?


1 comment:

  1. I make Chai all the time! And its superdeduper easy. If you find a good chai you don't need to add any spices, I love adagio.com's Masala Chai! I'd only do this with loose leaf.

    Alissa's Chai 16oz:
    Boil 8oz of water
    Steep 4 heaping teaspoons of chai in water for 5-7 minutes.
    Heat 8 oz of Milk in microwave until warm. (Don't let it get too hot or the top will scald, gross)
    Pour milk over tea, and sweeten with lots of sugar to taste :D

    This costs about 30cents. Compared to $4 at Starbucks. I'll have to try your recipe with my teabags tomorrow, Leah :)

    ReplyDelete